How Digital Information Elevates Digital Communications and Interactions Nowadays?
By Dianne Mariz
As human beings, it is an instinct for us to socialize. Communicating with other people is a beneficial factor for us to survive. Just like what the old saying states, “No man is an island.” Thus, we need one another for us to grow and develop.
Communication needs a clear message to proceed. The sender and receiver must understand and perceive the message the way it supposed to be. Because of the modern world that we have today, communication is not solely dependent on the physical connection of the people.
Digital devices are pervasive nowadays. These are equipment units that have computers or microcontrollers. Various devices are considered digital such as a smartphone, smartwatch, and tablet. There are also non-digital devices like a bicycle, thermometer, and an electric fan.
A computer is the most common digital device which people use in different sectors. It is very convenient and beneficial for the users. Computers make work easier and faster. Exchanging messages are now made possible in just a second to reach the receiver and reply to a response.
What are the differences between data and information?
Data and information are interconnected. This is where the information came from. You can consider data as the basic level of knowledge. These are bits of knowledge that are unorganized, uncategorized, and scattered. Therefore, they do not mean anything yet. On the other hand, information is the second level in which you sum up the data and arrange it according to context. As a result, data will then be useful.
Here are the differences between data and information:
- Information is significant, while data is not. The data cannot stand alone and use it anywhere. On the other hand, information is meaningful and useful since it provides context and meaning. With valuable information, an organization can decide-out of these entries.
- You can present data as tabular data, graphical data, or data tree, and many more. While you can present information in the form of language, thoughts, and ideas, which depends on the given data.
- Data is a raw form of knowledge. They are in the form of letters, characters, or numbers. It also involves images, audio clips, or symbols. Data is unorganized, wherein they are not contextualized. Whereas for information, it is in the form of inference or conclusions that are based on the given set of data.
- Information is more reliable than data. It suggests more meaning and value compared to the data. They are adequately organized and well-represented to convey a single context. Since data is raw and does not possess any meaning at all, its purpose might change whenever it is used in a different context. Hence, making it unreliable.
- Data is independent, while information is dependent. Because the raw data do not contain any meaning, it doesn’t depend on any condition. Thus, data can stand alone. On the other hand, information completely depends on the data. You cannot manage information without the presence of data. Data is the building block of information. Therefore, if there is no data, then there would be no information.
- Data is the input you need for processing. After the processing, you will have the information as the output. Since data are scattered, the information gives meaning to it by combining data and putting it into a context that makes it valuable.
- You cannot make a decision based on data alone. But, you can create one when you rely on the information. The first thing you need to do when making a decision is to understand the situation correctly. It is only possible when you have the right information. As for the data, you cannot make a comprehensive decision by merely relying on symbolic data.
- Data is founded on various records and observations. Statistics and collections of tables make up the sources of data. Meanwhile, the source of information is the data. It is based on the context that is aligned with the interpretation of the data.
- You cannot analyze data in its original form. Once the data is analyzed, it will be transformed into information. Therefore, information is always evaluated.
- Both the data and information are useful and beneficial. They are useful for one another. You cannot have the information if you do not have the data. In the business industry, data is not that important unless processed under various evaluations to make it meaningful or get something out if the data set.
Data and information work one way, the other. But, they have their distinct functions on how to perceive the message. Data is useless unless you analyze and process it well. Likewise, the information will not be created if there is no data presented. Data and information are very useful in so many areas. This could help in understanding why a specific situation occurs.
What is the importance of digital information?
Digital information is the data stored in your digital devices using the binary system or the series of ones and zeros. Just like computers, they are digital machines since they only recognize the on or off language. The binary system seems to be simple, but it can represent various and huge amounts of data.
Digital devices perceive information using 1 or 0 compared to analog, which humans use. Analog information came from the auditory and visual signals in a continuous flow. Computers only perceive digital information, which makes digital data storage sensible.
Digital information is not limited only to words and numbers. Anything that you can see or hear can be converted to its digital form. That is the reason why databases can have audio clips, moving images, or artworks.
Here is why digital information plays a significant role in the digital world.
- Digital information is reproducible. This type of information can be copied in an endless number of times. It can still maintain its quality even though you have duplicate copies of it.
- Digital information can be easily shared. Since this information can be easily copied, you can also share it at a lower cost. You can send information through emails and websites to broadcast the information to a wider audience in a single click.
- Digital information is flexible. There are various types of information that can be represented digitally through pictures, texts, videos, and sounds. It can also be used to control physical movements through digitally-controlled actuators.
- Digital information can be easily changed. This type of information can be easily modified. You can edit an image, add musical composition, or revise texts in a document. It makes no visible traces of changes in the files.
- Digital information is hard to intercept. Because there are no physical objects involved during digital information processing. No details, data, or entry are being interrupted by physical means.
Digital information is the most common way of processing and storing data. Digital devices rely on the convenience of digital information. It makes its function reliable and accountable for the entries that you save in your device. Digital information only evaluates analog data. Therefore, the analog signal creates a more accurate result than a digital signal.
What is digital information literacy?
Digital literacy is the capability to use and find information, also known as information literacy. But the thing is, it goes more than collaboration, communication, and social awareness of the digital environment. It also encompasses the knowledge about e-safety and the building of new information. Either digital or information literacy, critical thinking, and evaluation is a must.
The digital world is now rich with plenty of information from various sources. On the other hand, this richness doesn’t reflect the quality of the information, which is considered valuable. Everyone can publish and post anything on the Internet. But the question is, “Is it reliable?”. As an online and digital device user, you should be aware and skilled enough to determine the legit and fake digital information.
Here are some of the points that you should remember when evaluating digital information when it comes to relevance.
When it comes to the value of digital information, you should know your goals. In this regard, you will be able to determine if the information you are searching for is beneficial for you or not. Gaining knowledge is helpful and fun, but you should learn that not all data will be essential for your needs.
Speed and Timeliness
Searching for valuable digital information means finding the most relevant and current issues in a short time. Older information sources are good as long as they are relevant in today’s modern issue.
Look for digital information with reliable authorization. Digital data on the Internet continuously confirms that they are legit and dependable can be quite confusing. You should always depend on substantial information. If not, they won’t benefit you at all, even if it looks authorized.
Aesthetic depends on how the researcher perceived it. If it looks nice, it’s better. But you should look deeper into its content and not be overwhelmed by its structure. It is essential for visual and aural media. Multimedia information is more successful with its relevance if it is presented in an aesthetic way.
In different means of communication, there are various meanings that are embedded in them. The meaning of a resource depends on how you will use it for on your own. You should know the purpose of having such multimedia, just how the author wants you to perceive it.
Another criteria that you should remember is the validity of the digital information. Here are some of them.
When searching for digital information, you should have other research to verify the accuracy and factuality of the data. You might be asking yourself if that certain information occurred. Facts can also be associated with opinions based on the author’s delivery of the information. Different authors have their points of view. Therefore, reliable information is made up of events where many people agreed to its existence.
The argumentation structure is an essential feature of digital information. It is not enough that information presents facts alone. Argumentative statements make digital information more valid. It is associated with the rules of the argument logic. Online users are not that fond of the argument structure they see in the digital platform.
When you are searching for digital information, you should thoroughly read it. In that way, you will be able to distinguish what part is essential and what needs to be omitted. The bottom line here is to have critical reading and to think to enable valuable information processing.
Organized digital information is beneficial for researchers. The order of information affects how you will use the resources. Linear multimedia resources like audios, videos, texts can change the reader’s perspective in browsing information back and forth. Ordering matters and it is a sufficient criterion to promote validity.
To ensure the validity of digital information, you must also know its origin. Knowing where the information came from can support the indication of the critical information in relating their assumptions and goals. It is not about building doubt on what people share and publish. It can help you to verify the validity and completeness of the digital information that you have found.
It is not commonly observed on digital information published on the Internet. But it can somehow affect the validity of the information. The opinion of others can help improve the quality of the information. The knowledge of other people can contribute to the betterment of the information. Though there are negative comments, they can be considered as constructive opinions.
Digital information found on the Internet needs critical reading and research. Valuable information results from reliable and valid details that will also make your study worthwhile. In today’s modern world, with various digital information, you should be observant and keen about the things that you are searching for. It can help you determine what information is beneficial for you.
What are the ways to store your digital information?
In today’s modern generation, transactions and communications gone digital. This is a significant advantage through the use of technological devices. One of the crucial parts of data processing is data storage. Here are some of the best ways to store your digital information.
Though there is external storage available, some people will still choose to save their images, videos, and contents on their desktop or laptop storage. The only problem with desktop storage is your device can be quickly filled with files. As a result, it will slow down the performance of your device.
Cold storage involves separate storage drives such as thumb and flash drives. People who are cornered by the lack of backup lead them to use this type of storage. It is a cost-efficient device and stores files with large size in a more secured way. The files are also organized, which makes data retrieval faster and easier.
Social Media Storage
Since social media is now widely used by the public nowadays, they come to realize it is also an excellent platform to store files. Most of the standard published files are images and videos. You can easily access these files and not consuming your desktop storage. Social media also allows you to create albums which you can also share with other people.
Cloud storage became popular storage for its numerous advantages. It eliminates the need to store the files on your computer. It offers a well-organized way to search, share, and manage your information. Though you can benefit a lot from it, cloud storage also has its disadvantages.
One of the downsides of it is the use the cloud storage for the first time. You might consume all of your initial storage and later on spending a lot of money on it. The security of cloud storage is also not that well-defined. Cloud storage is more vulnerable to data breaches or loss.
Why do you need to store your digital information?
Data storage is a key factor for successful data processing. Data is an important entry, especially when you are working in the business industry. Some of the business owners rely on the data systems to monitor their assets. The way to store your data plays a vital role in how you can access, use, and secure your files.
Storing your digital information can help you with your future needs. You can also manage your data by referring them to your storage. You need memory to store data and retrieve just when the time you need it.
There are two types of storage known as the primary and secondary storage. Primary storage is the one you can immediately find inside your computer. On the other hand, secondary storage refers to the separate storage such as external hard drives or flash drives which you can plug into your computer using a USB cable.
The traditional storing method is not the trend right now. Digital devices are everywhere. Thus, it makes the data systems and processes also digital. In order to get along with this trend, data storage should also be advanced.