Do US Companies Need to Comply with GDPR?
By Matt Brennan
The question of whether US companies need to comply with GDPR can be a complex one, and depends on who your customer base is. First, it helps to explain a little more about what GDPR is, and who it protects.
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation requires organizations to safeguard the data that they collect and protect their residents’ data rights. The law is designed to give EU residents more control over how their personal data is used.
But what does this mean for companies that aren’t within the borders of the European Union? Which companies are required to follow these guidelines? The short answer is that US companies need to pay attention to this law as well because the law is written to protect the rights of European consumers – even in a commercially global society.
What US Companies Need to Do to Comply with GDPR
If your company collects any personal data of European Union residents, you’ll need to comply with GDPR. The data could be as simple as the email addresses in a marketing list, or IP addresses of the people who visit your website.
The way this could be enforced is through the help of foreign governments through mutual assistance treaties, or other mechanisms.
What US Companies Can Do to Maintain GDPR Compliance
- Audit Your Data Collection Practices to Look for European Personal Data – It’s important for businesses to have a firm understanding of what personal information they collect, and whether any of it belongs to EU residents. If you do find this information within the scope of your audit, it’s important to take the necessary steps to become GDPR compliant.
- Begin Telling Customers Why You Process Their Data – If you process data based on user consent, you’ll need to be transparent about the information with your data subjects (the owners of the personal data you collect).
- Evaluate How You Process Data So You Can Improve – Once you understand how your data is collected and processed, you can begin to make the appropriate adjustments required to protect EU residents and maintain GDPR compliance.
- Create a Data Processing Agreement with Any Vendors – The data controller can be held partially responsible if your third-party clients violate any GDPR guidelines. A data processing agreement can help you clear up any gray areas. This includes subcontractors, email providers, cloud storage, or anyone holding onto third-party data.
- Appoint Someone Within Your Organization as Data Protection Officer – Larger organizations are required to appoint someone to this position to monitor their use of data.
- Designate an EU Representative – Some larger non-EU companies may be required to designate a representative based in the EU to manage data.
- Understand Your Role in a Data Breach – Sometimes the worst-case scenario might be inevitable. In the event of such cases, the use of encryption, and strong security measures can reduce your fines and your notification obligations in the aftermath.
Following these Steps to Maintain GDPR Compliance
American companies that process the personal data of EU residents are required to comply with GDPR. By following the steps above, you can protect the personal data of EU residents and all data subjects. This can help you avoid scrutiny from EU regulators.
Customer Reviews Total: 41 Review(s)
This service was rated 5 out of 5.0 based on 41 review(s)
Suddenly my hard drive crashed during on hangout with my friends. My most expected tour was not good at thinking about my hard drive. After return back, I went to WeRecoverData they saved my hard drive. That was appreciative.
I think it is the best company in the world regarding data recovery. They take all types of recovery cases with great responsibility and ensure they work with the best possible solution for your specific case. I highly recommend it.
Superb effort from werecoverdata. I had no idea how to fix it when I faced a horrible problem with my RAID NAS. But they solved it very quickly and superbly. I recommend them!
Thanks to all staff of werecoverdata for excellent work and for getting my company data back! I got frustrated when a deadly drop damaged my hard drive. But they solved it!
Few days ago my raid server is crashed dangerously. It was not starting any more. I tried in a various way whatever I know but I could not fix it. My uncle told me about WeRecoverdata. Then contact with them and they repaired it. Thank you guys.
Those are suffering bad experience of getting a reliable and professional recovery service provider, definitely, they can choose werecoverdata. I highly recommend it.
Thanks a lot
The location is a bit hard to find out but eventually, I did. They recovered my hard drive, which was mostly dead. Thanks a lot.
Definitely weRecover team is great to solve that kind of hard drive problem. Great response and remarkable. They recovered my all data successfully within short time. I wanna give special thank to David. Thanks a lot man.
Liked Your Service
I have been using my HP laptop since 2016. Few months ago I could not open my laptop. After pressing the power button its showing nothing. My friend told me about that company. They recovered my laptop. Now its working perfectly. Thanks a lot WeRecoverData.
Pretty good experience
It was really pretty good experience. They are so professional, punctual and reliable. I strongly recommend it.
A lot of thanks to werecoverdata. You did really remarkable work. I was frustrated when lost my important data from a hard drive. I sent my hard drive to WRD then they got all the data back. At first, I couldn’t believe anyone can recover it since my computer tech said he can’t do it. All credit goes to werecoverdata.
Fantastic service from all the guys at werecoverdata. I was having pressure when corrupted data from my hard drive .Then I went there and they fixed it superbly.Thanks for removing the pressure!
I faced horrible problem but they solved it extremely well.My problem was that hard drive crashed dangerously.At this moment I thought the sky was broken on my head.Thank you for that.
Thanks to WeRecoverData. You fixed the hard drive problem promptly. I am impressed… Anybody can rely on werecoverdata.
Obviously great work from werecoverdata.Definitely no doubt about this company because they take seriously to solve any kinds of problem.I have lot of assurance at them.A lot of thanks to them.
Oh Tom really fantastic work. You saved my important days. Raid 5 server damaged dangerously few days ago. But you fixed it well. Thank you for that!
All credits goes to werecoverdata for recovering raid server.I thought impossible to repair it but they was taken sensible and fixed it.Now I can fully trust on werecoverdata.All thanks to them.
Werecoverdata, you did a really very helpful work.I was angry when my hard drive got dropped from my mistakes. I recommend the company and give a lot of thanks to werecoverdata.
After my hard drive crashed I was going to be totally mad. One of mu cousin suggested me to meet that company. I did and got the best service ever I had.